Went to see if I could find the Golden Eagle(s) at Ten Mile River Preserve on
Berkshire Rd. in Dover Plains today.  After a late start because of the ice
everywhere I found out you can't come from the south on Berkshire since it's
closed a few miles down the road so I went back and came in from the north to
the first pullout under the tree on the right.  Immediately I had Bald Eagles
flying all over and one juvenile in the corn field I assume feeding on a
pheasant.  Probably about seven were flying around and I got some nice close
looks.  After about a half hour I caught a nice adult Golden Eagle flying along
the ridge to the north and had a long look at it as it slowly moved along to
the west.  Needed a scope for sure.  Also seen were a Cooper's Hawk and at
least four Red-tailed Hawks as well as many Ring-necked Pheasants everywhere
along the road and in the fields.  Obviously they weren't wild and were stocked
for hunting but still nice to see.  Had around 30 or so including an almost
black one.
After that I headed to Cold Spring to try and see the Golden Eagles at Storm
King Mtn.  Unfortuantely I got there around dusk and a little south of where I
wanted to be, but did get about five Bald Eagles though no Golden Eagle.  Will
have to try a spot a little father north If I can find one or do the 9W route.
Andrew
Andrew v. F. Block
Consulting Naturalist
20 Hancock Avenue, Apt. 3
Yonkers, Westchester Co., New York 10705-4780
www.flickr.com/photos/conuropsis/albums