>From our neighbor-nation to the north it has been something to see the reports
>of species such as Black Vulture, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Tufted Titmouse, and
>even N. Mockingbird (all just within the province of Quebec) & all in recent
>days, along with more expected-in-Quebec (province) species of the
>boreal-northern forests.  The Montreal birders have been keeping a good watch
>on a Pine Warbler - as with others of that species in a number of
>northern-wintering locations, visiting feeders with available suet.  As more &
>more ’southern’ species show up in what were once-unheard-of more northerly
>latitudes, changes in the climate appears in ways that can be striking to many
>who observe.

.  .  .  .
Some sightings by other watchers from Randall’s Island (in N.Y. County-NYC) on
Sunday/13th included 2 Snow Geese, Mute Swan, Common Goldeneye, American
Woodcock, at least 4 Killdeer, Great Cormorant, Merlin, Cedar Waxwings,
Chipping Sparrow, [Myrtle] Yellow-rumped Warblers, & [at least] Black-crowned
Night- and Great Blue Herons, along with a good many other species. No unusual
or high numbers of gulls were reported there by those who gave reports for
Sunday.

.  .  .  .
Manhattan, N.Y. City - Sunday, Feb. 13th:

Mute Swan (1, reported off the Battery, in N.Y. Harbor; T. Olson), Snow Goose
(continuing at Inwood Hill Park - Muscota Marsh area off W. 215th St.),
Red-breasted Merganser (multiples around Manhattan’s salt & brackish waters,
multiple observers in varied locations from the n. tip of Manhattan to its’
south end), N. Pintail (pair continuing at Sherman Creek (n.-e. of the eastern
end of Dyckman St. along the Harlem river), Common Loon (several sightings, on
both East & Hudson rivers), Double-crested Cormorant, Ovenbird (near E. 20th
St.; thanks to A. Lazarus and all Stuy-town area observers), and some
additional species to those listed for Central Park below.

-  -  -
Central Park (in Manhattan) - also Sunday, 2/13:

The Bald Eagle which made a pass over the Central Park reservoir after 4 p.m.
(multi. observ.) may have panicked some gulls, however even later, including
after 5 p.m. there were gulls returning and some 150+ settling on the reservoir
(on water, with virtually all ice having melted for the day - but n.b., it’s
possible skims of new ice may again form as nights return to sub-freezing).  A
Bald Eagle was also observed at Central Park in the early morning. After 4:30
pm, no unusual-for-winter gulls were noted, indeed the majority appeared to be
Ring-billed Gull as of 5:15 pm, but there were at least a few Herring & Great
Black-backed Gulls as well which were settling, with more also flying in
circles both high & low near and over the reservoir. I did not remain quite to
dusk to observe there. The late p.m. mass of gulls was perhaps the highest
number on the day; it’s fairly typical that gulls depart that reservoir just
ahead of and in (some) snow events and also at times in or ahead of other
weather.  2 Turkey Vultures were reported [as observed, multi. observ.] from
Central Park, & Common Raven was seen (as well as heard) by a number of
snow-day visitors at various times there, in addition to being found elsewhere
in Manhattan. At least 15 observers saw both Iceland and Lesser Black-backed
Gull at the Central Park reservoir during the a.m.; there was one report made
in eBird adding a brief note that  the *Slaty-backed Gull* was seen, with
potential photo[s], and of course based on recent history the Slaty-backed may
well have made a shorter reservoir-visit, at some point, again - we’ll hope it
might show yet again.

Further sightings at Central Park - Sunday, 2/13:

Great Blue Heron
Canada Goose
Wood Duck (multiple, ongoing)
Gadwall
American Black Duck
Mallard
Northern Shoveler
Green-winged Teal (ongoing)
Ring-necked Duck (*drake, on the Lake, well seen & photo’d. by multiple
observers*)
Bufflehead
Hooded Merganser
Ruddy Duck
Bald Eagle
Cooper's Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
Peregrine Falcon
American Coot
American Woodcock (at least 2 encounters in opposite ends of the park; also 1
reported in Ramble area)
Ring-billed Gull
[American] Herring Gull
Iceland Gull (reservoir, from early morning)
Lesser Black-backed Gull (also as above)
Great Black-backed Gull (also as above)
['feral'] Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Downy Woodpecker
Blue Jay
Common Raven
American Crow
Black-capped Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Red-breasted Nuthatch (n. end, and Pinetum east areas)
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
Carolina Wren
Golden-crowned Kinglet (in several locations)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Hermit Thrush
American Robin (140+ through all of Central; add’l. others in other parts of
Manhattan)
Gray Catbird (ongoing)
Northern Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher (ongoing)
European Starling
House Sparrow
Cedar Waxwing (2 flocks)
Eastern Towhee
Chipping Sparrow (ongoing at n. end of Central)
Field Sparrow (as above)
[Red] Fox Sparrow (14+ thru all of Central Park)
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow (ongoing)
White-throated Sparrow
Slate-colored Junco
Northern Cardinal
Red-winged Blackbird
Rusty Blackbird (ongoing, Lake)
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
House Finch
American Goldfinch

50++ observers out in the snow and later, end-of-day brightening-up-a-bit.
(with a few additional species, not noted now.)

Happy healthy-heart day to all and good birds,

Tom Fiore
manhattan