Great news!
After I saw the photo of the nestling taken by another birder 3 days ago (I am
sorry for not mentioning his/her name. I don't know if he/she wants the
publicity), I had to go and check on the fate of this nestling and the nest.

The moment I arrived, I noticed that the nest that was half occluded yesterday
is wide open today. It made me happy to see that the swallow re-opened it.
Looking inside, I could see the chick is alive and well.

Few minutes later, an adult came and fed the chick and I recorded the feeding
act on video. You can see it here:

https://twitter.com/BirdBrklyn/status/1548720277110005762

To the best of my knowledge, this is the first ever Bank Swallow offspring that
was born in Brooklyn. If this is inaccurate, please, let me know.

The fact that this nest is wide open proved to me again that no bird will ever
abandon its chicks permanently. They might abandon them for a short period of
time when there is a danger around, but they always come back to care for them
after the danger goes away. At least this is my experience with all the nests I
have followed over the years.

This Swallow couldn't let its chick be buried alive.

As for the other nests, they are still occluded. Two of them totally occluded
and the third is half occluded. My thinking that there are no living chicks
inside. The swallows probably abandoned their eggs, and they might try laying
eggs in another burrow, like Jose suggested.

Good birding to all
Gus Keri

 ---- On Sat, 16 Jul 2022 15:30:59 -0400  Jose Ramirez-Garofalo
<jose.ramirez.garof...@rutgers.edu> wrote ---