From: geneseebird...@geneseo.edu [mailto:geneseebird...@geneseo.edu] On Behalf
Of Willie D'Anna
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2022 9:33 AM
To: 'geneseebirds'; 'Geneseebirds'; 'NYSBirds'
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] The species of snail that the Limpkin was eating in
Lewiston

Hello birders!

Almost everyone who was able to watch the Limpkin this November in Lewiston,
noted that it was eating a prodigious number of snails. You usually only had to
wait a few seconds before you would see it probing into the ground, pulling out
a snail, cracking it open, peeling off the shell, then throwing it down the
hatch. I was told that this was not a native species of snail but
unfortunately, after seeing so many people, I don’t remember who told me that.

It is well known that Limpkins are expanding their breeding range in the
southeastern US, due to the presence of an invasive species of apple snail.
However, that apple snail has not made it anywhere close to NYS, as far as I am
aware. It is also much larger than the snails that the Limpkin was feeding on
in Lewiston.

If anyone knows anything about the snails that the Lewiston Limpkin was feeding
on, I would appreciate hearing from you. If you can provide a published
reference or let me know where your information is from, that would be great.
This could be used in an article I am currently writing.

There are several photos of the bird with a snail. You can look through all of
the photos of this bird on eBird:
https://media.ebird.org/catalog?taxonCode=limpki
<https://media.ebird.org/catalog?taxonCode=limpki&regionCode=US-NY-063>
&regionCode=US-NY-063

Some nice ones with a snail are in this checklist from Karen Lee Lewis:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S122604545  Here is another from Brian Morse:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S122609092  There is a nice close-up of the snail
in this checklist from Alan Bloom: https://ebird.org/checklist/S122570469
Another close-up here, from Tim Healy: https://ebird.org/checklist/S122510990