There seems to be a major eastward flight of terns and other larids along
the ocean side of Long Island today, presumably brought about by the heavy
rains. Winds were moderate swinging around from the S to the E during the
middle part of the day. I seawatched from Main Beach in East Hampton
(Suffolk Co) late this morning. Visibility was limited to a few hundred
yards but there was enough movement very close inshore (and overland) to
keep it interesting.

A 1-hour tally (11:40-12:40) produced:
Wilson's Storm-petrel - 5
BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE - 1 juv.
Laughing Gull - 6
Common Tern - 1,423
Forster's Tern - 19
Roseate Tern - 326
Least Tern - 265
Black Tern - 11

Andy Baldelli (via Hugh McGuinness) also watched from Main Beach earlier in
the morning and I believe he logged 6 PARASITIC JAEGERS, numerous Wilson's
Storm-Petrels and Black Terns - again all going east fairly close to shore.

In Napeague Bay I counted 200+ BLACK TERNS but there could easily be more as
it was impossible to scope properly in the driving rain. There were also a
few Roseate and Forster's Terns. An adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL was on
the Maidstone Golf Course and in only a few minutes of looking skyward, I
noted several hundred terns flying out of Hook Pond and back onto the ocean.
Like observers to the west, I am currently puzzled by the numbers of Roseate
Terns (mix of adults and juvs)  in this eastward movement. Since the bulk of
the breeding population is already east of these watchpoints but perhaps
they had moved south offshore and are now spinning back up to avoid the
worst of the weather?


Angus Wilson
New York City & The Springs, NY, USA

-- 
NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

Temporary archive:
http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
--

Reply via email to