After Ken Feustel's post I wandered down to Sunken Meadow hoping to pick up 
some first-of-the-season birds.  I first headed to Field 4 where there were 
the 3 Solitary Sandpipers.  As soon as I got out of the car I could here the 
sounds of warblers and spring migrants in the forest.  After getting some nice 
views of the Solitary Sandpipers I headed uptrail seeing similar birds reported 
within the last few days.  The only new birds not mentioned today were Wood 
Thrush, Sharp-shinned Hawk flyover, and a Magnolia Warbler.

After birding there, I parked in Field 1 and walked down the park road just up 
to the Osprey Bench near the end of Field 2.  A huge portion of Field 2 
was flooded attracting Killdeer, another Solitary Sandpiper, and 2 Greater 
Yellowlegs.  The best part of my walk was when I went to the Osprey 
Bench.  While scanning the marsh I heard a Virginia Rail start calling within 
feet of me in the phragmites.  I began to pish and a moment or two later, the 
Rail popped out.  However, as quick as he came he went.  Even though it was 
brief it was still the best bird of the day.  The White-crowned Sparrow 
reported earlier by Ken was feeding along the shoulder of the park road in 
close proximity of the Osprey bench.

Vinny Pellegrino
picasaweb.com/vinnypelle
East Northport, NY
 
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.  Live the life you've 
imagined." 
-Henry David Thoreau


      
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to