5/3/10 Southeastern St. Lawrence Co. (Town of Colton)

 

Today, during a drive from Potsdam to Tupper Lake, at ~4:30 p.m., a Sandhill
Crane was observed flying over Route 56 (east to west).  The location was
approx. 5 miles north of the Route 56-Route 3 intersection in the Town of
Colton.  Very exciting!  (Several years ago, a pair had been observed in
Tupper Lake - about 15 miles from today's sighting.)

 

I did not have a chance to search for the 2 birds singing Golden-winged
Warbler songs yesterday (5/2/10).  I took our dogs out early this morning
for a walk and once again found 2 birds singing Golden-winged songs.  I
chose to search for the one I didn't try for yesterday, and it led me deep
into WET brushy habitat.  I was soaked to the knees with water and mud from
my wet bushwhack.  Every time I caught up to the bird, it moved.  After it
had led me a long way, it stopped singing.  I imagined it laughing at me
from some hidden perch.  I gave up the stubborn pursuit.  Fortunately, the
other bird I tried to find yesterday was at the shrubland edge farther down
the trail.  Unfortunately, it was a first generation male Brewster's
Warbler.  I've observed Blue-winged Warblers move into, and increase in
number, in the area behind our Potsdam home during the past 5 years.  It was
distressing to see this area transition so quickly from a Golden-winged
Warbler only area, to an area with Golden-winged and Blue-winged Warblers,
and now evidence of hybridization.

 

The only FOS species today was a singing Field Sparrow.  It was attacked
twice by the Brewster's Warbler!

 

Joan Collins

Potsdam & Long Lake


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to