NYSbirders,
Five Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks were found this morning at the east
end of Oneida Lake in Brewerton.  Bill Purcell got the word out
(thanks Bill!), and a number of birders were able to view the ducks
sitting on a dock at these coordinates:  43.236545,-76.134656
The ducks reportedly flew west along the Oneida River in the evening.
Jay McGowan and I viewed the birds until 6:40PM; at 8:25PM, on our way
back south to Ithaca, we checked the dock and surrounding area and did
not see the ducks.  All birds are unbanded and have healthy-looking,
intact feet, toes, and nails (bands and clipped toes/ nails can
suggest captive origin).  The timing is consistent with natural
vagrancy of the species to the north of its normal range and I think
it is appropriate to consider the birds as wild vagrants.
Interestingly, I found a group of 5 Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks in
Dauphin County, Pennsylvania yesterday morning; those birds turned up
on a golf course pond near my parents' house and flew away at 8:30AM.
This site is roughly 210 miles to the south of Brewerton, NY as
measured on Google Maps.  Without wanting to start conspiracy theories
about vagrants showing up at multiple locations, I think this is a
decent possibility in this case.  I've tried to find individual
markings on the ducks in my photos that could be used to link the two
sightings with more confidence but haven't been successful yet.  If
others have ideas on the matter, I'd be interested in learning more.
More information can be found on OneidaBirds:
http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/ONEI.html
My photos of the whistling-ducks in NY and PA are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bonxie88/

Also in the realm of southern rarities turning up in Upstate NY - a
Yellow-throated Warbler found by Chris Wood and Jessie Barry spent
today singing in a Tompkins County yard, and a dead Prothonotary
Warbler was found on an Ithaca street yesterday evening.  Perhaps
there are more southern birds hiding out there...

Cheers,
Tom


-- 
Thomas Brodie Johnson
Ithaca, NY
[email protected]
mobile:  717.991.5727

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to