For two hours(8:15am-10:15am) I birded Sunken Meadow State Park this morning.  
The western end of the park was pretty dead with the exception of 3 Purple 
Finch 
eating what looked like chokecherries, a few Ovenbirds, and 2 Chipping 
Sparrows.  The Inner Marsh trail and the bluffs trail on the north side of the 
park road was quiet so I headed east to Field 3.  After parking and getting out 
of the car I spotted a Peregrine Falcon flying just above the treetops.  The 
bird then make a quick swoop scattering the gulls in the parking lot and then 
proceeded to gain altitude and soar out of sight.  The shrubbery bordering the 
lower creek hosted a small assortment of passerines.  A single Bay-breasted 
Warbler was working his way around the Creek as was my first-of-the-season 
Ruby-crowned Kinglet.  I also tallied 8 other species of warbler.

On a bit of a late note, Friday morning's quick walk along the park road 
leading 
to the golf course yielded me a flyover Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Swainson's 
Thrush, 
a hunting Sharp-shinned Hawk, and an awesome spectacle of 2 clashing Cooper's 
Hawks over the abandoned Field 2 parking lot.
 
Vinny Pellegrino
picasaweb.com/vinnypelle
East Northport, NY
 
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.  Live the life you've 
imagined." 

-Henry David Thoreau


      
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to