I had a female type cowbird at my feeder yesterday that wasn't the typical
female brown-headed. I watched it for about 15 minutes at my window feeder and
just automatically said brown-headed female and didn't take a photo. Now I
wish
I had. It occurred to me last night while parusing my birds books that this
bird may not have been a female brown-headed. It had a a dull, dark chocolate
brown body, dark eye, medium length tail, and medium lengthed pointed bill.
The
overall look was of a very dark pudgy bird. I didn't notice an obvious ruff
but
that may have been from the age or posture of it. I've seen bronzed that
didn't
look like they have a ruff. After looking in my Sibley and other books it
looked like the eastern female Bronzed Cowbird. The photo in Jaramillo & Burke
of the juvenile looks almost identical to what I saw but the silouette looks
more like Sibley's adult eastern female. As far as I can tell there are no
plumages that look like the bird I saw in Brown-headed Cowbird. Has anyone
seen
a female brown-headed that looks like this?
Andrew
Andrew v. F. Block
Consulting Naturalist/Wildlife Biologist
37 Tanglewylde Avenue
Bronxville, Westchester Co., New York 10708-3131
Phone: 914-337-1229; Fax: 914-771-8036
--
NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
--