Following some sage advice from Sean Sime regarding the second high tide of the 
day being more productive for gulls loafing on the beach, I revisited Coney 
Island this afternoon in search of the Gray-hooded Gull. I immediately noticed 
that there were way more LAGU than had been present this morning. Luck was on 
my side as within 5 minutes of walking east on the boardwalk from it's 
intersection with W. 15th Street, I spotted the gull on the sand a mere 30 feet 
away.  It was near a pool of water that had formed underneath one of the "Palm 
Tree" sprinklers, about halfway between Nathan's Famous and the Wonder Wheel.
Over the next 30 minutes the bird upped about 5x. 3x I was able to follow it as 
it just did a big loop down the beach and came back to essentially the same 
spot. The 4x it took off I lost it but Isaac Grant spotted it very quickly 
after arriving, this time much closer to the ocean. (searching for scraps near 
two young women sunbathing-hopefully they weren't too offended by our optics 
trained in their direction!)
Unfortunately the last time it took off we lost it to the east. I had to leave 
at that point and am sorry to hear that it did not show again for those who sat 
through a major rainstorm...
I have uploaded a couple of photos and 2 short videos to my Picasa site here:
http://tinyurl.com/3jk3zw6
The bird was not particularly shy and in fact when Isaac and I approached it it 
actually started walking towards us as if looking for a handout. It was 
scavenging as one would expect any gull might, looking for various scraps left 
by the day's beach goers.
The gull is very distinctive with its red legs and bill and its sharply 
delineated hood edge fading forward into a soft gray on the face, highlighting 
its distinctive pale eye. It is about the size of a Laughing Gull, but seems 
sleeker and carries itself a bit more upright giving it a slight air of 
nobility. The wing pattern is also quite striking, a white wedge on the leading 
edge of the inner primaries and blackish outer primaries with white mirrors on 
P9 and P10. I found this pattern useful in spotting the gull from a distance.
As usual the difficulty of accepting a rarity of this magnitude lies 
in trying to establish its provenance. Not to play Devil's advocate, but I feel 
like I have seen this species at the Bronx Zoo, and seem to remember an 
incident many years ago when that same aviary was breached by some inclement 
weather. I think it was too many years ago for it to relate to this particular 
bird, but it shows such a scenario is possible.
I wouldn't consider myself an expert at judging the wear of feathers of birds 
kept in captivity, but  it is often brought up in discussing vagrants-as 
recently as the Hooded Crow on Staten Island. The wonderful flight photos that 
Andrew Baksh took seem to show a large amount of wear on the tips of the 
primaries and the tail feathers (I might even call them tattered). Food for 
thought?
anyway...I would be remiss if I didn't thank my wife for being so understanding 
as to let me chase this bird on her birthday! Let's hope it stays around 
awhile...
Best regards,Shane BlodgettBrooklyn NY
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to