We also have lots of golden rod and have seen Monarchs. 3 years ago in Cape 
May, 3rd week in September, we saw thousands of them- over the water, binocular 
view, and on the golden rod or other flowers. We went there for bird migrants, 
but..... Pete Dunne even mentioned them in a report. It was spectacular!  Hope 
there are still enough trees in Mexico for them to winter over. Maybe it is 
just an off year.??

Ann Mitchell
Sent from my IPhone

> On Oct 10, 2013, at 7:40 AM, steve rosenthal <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> at jones beach and point lookout  here in NY my impression was that
> there were still ample goldenrods back along the roadways and (at Pt
> Lookout) along the shore of Jones Inlet.... All with nary a monarch on
> them on my last few visits. I think 4 or 5 monarchs was the most I saw
> on any single visit of an hour to two hours length. This has been
> typical for observers posting  all summer long to the NABA (North
> American Butterfly Assocaition) websites' "Postings"   from anywhere
> in the eastern half of the US.
> 
>> On 10/10/13, Peter Priolo <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Excellent question I've noticed a decline as well. I am no expert but have
>> tagged monarchs as a citizen scientist for the past 3 years on the south
>> shore of Long Island as part of the U of Kansas monarch watch project. Two
>> years ago there were enough monarchs flying east to west along the dunes
>> that praying mantis would ambush them on the seaside goldenrod.
>> This year I the amount and rate of monarchs flying east to west on the
>> coastal dunes decreased dramatically.
>> I think this is linked with the observation that there appears to be less
>> goldenrod stands; and, I think there are less goldenrod because of physical
>> change of the dunes from hurricane Sandy. Some great stands got buried along
>> beachfront that I have found monarchs at in past years.
>> I wonder if there are less goldenrod available along the entire coast in the
>> plants range. I wonder if this will set them back as the yellow blooms are
>> an energy source timed with their migration.
>> That is my speculation. I don't know if the monarch population actually did
>> decrease markedly this year, I just saw less where I used to see more.
>> 
>> Peter Priolo
>> Ctr Moriches
>> --
>> 
>> NYSbirds-L List Info:
>> http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
>> http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
>> http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm
>> 
>> ARCHIVES:
>> 1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
>> 2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
>> 3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
>> 
>> Please submit your observations to eBird:
>> http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
>> 
>> --
> 
> --
> 
> NYSbirds-L List Info:
> http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
> http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
> http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm
> 
> ARCHIVES:
> 1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
> 2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
> 3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
> 
> Please submit your observations to eBird:
> http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
> 
> --

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to