The main highlight of a full day spent on both the north and south shores of 
eastern Suffolk County was the previously reported PINK-FOOTED GOOSE. I found 
it in a field at the intersection of Northville Turnpike and Sound Avenue, one 
of the locations it was seen at before if I'm not mistaken. It only stuck 
around for a few minutes (long enough for a few distant digiscoped photos) 
before flying out with part of the Canada Goose flock in which it was embedded. 
As that group flew south, it broke into smaller groups heading in different 
directions, so I can't say for sure exactly which way the Pink-footed went. I 
later found another large gathering of geese in a stubble field on the west 
side of Route 105, south of Northville Tpke. Despite it's size, this flock held 
only Canadas as far as I could see.

Other highlights (and some misses) of the day are as follows:

Shinnecock Inlet/Dune Road: King Eider (1 female), Iceland Gull (1-2, 1st 
winter), Boat-tailed Grackle (2), Ipswich Savannah Sparrow (2). No Red-necked 
Grebe at any of the docks--lots of ice in the water. No Snowy Owls. 

Northville/Riverhead area: 1 Iceland Gull (Iron Pier beach, returning adult); 
~150 Horned Lark and 10-12 Snow Bunting (field at corner of Doctor's Path and 
Reeve's Ave.); 4-5 American Pipit and 1 imm. White-crowned Sparrow (Buffalo 
ranch, Reeve's and Roanoke Ave.); 1 American Kestrel (female, Penny's Road); 
2-3 N. Harriers throughout the area, all gray ghosts. At the Buffalo ranch it 
was interesting to see Brown-headed Cowbirds in something close to their 
original milieu--feeding in the footsteps of bison.

Hulse Landing Road: another 100 or so Horned Larks.

EPCAL: 1 E. Meadowlark, 8 Savannah Sparrows, 12 Horned Larks; unfortunately I 
saw no Short-eared Owls, despite staying until 5:30.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jgluth_brb/sets/72157639292692304/

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to