1/26/14 (Southwestern Essex Co., NY)

 

At dawn this morning, I was attempting to record (on my iPhone) singing and
calling Red Crossbills, when I decided to use my scope and iPhone attachment
to photograph a female Red Crossbill at the top of a spruce tree.  I took
one photo when a male flew in and fed the female!  I captured the moment -
not a great photo, but enough to see some details.  The male's head is
upright with his bill wide open, and the female turned her head to the side
to retrieve the food from the male's mouth.  I posted several photos to my
Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/AdirondackAvian .  I believe I am
hearing two different "Types" of Red Crossbills at this location based on
the calls.  Matt Young, at the Cornell Lab, has documented two different Red
Crossbill Types nesting side by side in the past.  I lasted only a couple
hours in the brutal cold this morning.  I got a couple distant recordings
that may be enough to "Type" the crossbills.  I thought I had a wonderful
close recording of a singing Red Crossbill, and when it finished singing, I
looked down to see that I failed to hit the record button!  My hands were so
numb that I could barely work the scope and iPhone.  I heard some
fascinating Red Crossbill vocalizations this morning, and I wished I had a
large recording dish!

 

I am a bit late with a blog on one of the most interesting animal behaviors
I've witnessed.  The October 2011 observation was just a few months after
the unexpected death of my mother.  I put a number of writing projects on
hold, and I am still catching up.  Here is a blog post of my observation of
Common Raven-Eastern Coyote communication:
http://www.adirondackavianexpeditions.com/behavior/communication-between-com
mon-ravens-and-eastern-coyotes-an-observation .

Mario Davalos, an artist/photographer/birder/writer, from the Dominican
Republic, recently wrote a lovely blog about the Adirondacks/Northern NY:
http://mariodavalos.com/2014/01/16/snowy-vacation-in-the-adirondacks/ .  (He
also visited NYC this past month and there is a lovely blog from that
experience also!)  It was so interesting to watch Mario photograph birds and
landscapes with an artist's eye.  He gave me a copy of his book,
"Wildscapes: Travels to Cure a Restless Soul", which is spectacular!
Unfortunately, it is not for sale, but he can be contacted for a copy.  He
has a number of book projects underway, and they will be for sale when
finished.  I meet very interesting people in my birding life, and Mario is
one of those remarkable people that you know you'll be hearing a lot more
about over time.

 

Joan Collins

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home

http://www.adirondackavianexpeditions.com/  

http://www.facebook.com/AdirondackAvian 

 


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to