An uptick in shorebird numbers at Cupsogue, as well. Highlights included 3
fly by Whimbrels and a Western Sandpiper. The Western was not as bright as I
was hoping to get an opportunity to photograph, but still separable from
Semipalmated on plumage alone. I was hoping to share a picture, but am
currently unable to upload to my FTP server. Knowing exactly what to look
for may be helpful in tracking down this bird - it worked for someone who
looked at the picture in my camera. I also had an opportunity to photograph
a Western Willet side by side with Eastern, which would be worth a look if I
can get that uploaded. Among the Semipalmated Sandpipers were two with green
flag bands, one of which seemed to have its gait hobbled by the band. I
managed to photograph it and will report the band number. Hopefully, it will
provide some useful information - something worth it, given the possibility
of the bird spending the rest of its life in discomfort.

 

Doug Futuyma, who was with me part of the time, took meticulous counts. I'm
not sure if he's going to post, so here are my counts that I will be posting
to z-bird.

 

American Oystercatcher - some

Piping Plover - 2

Semipalmated Plover - a few

Black-bellied Plover -  a scattering

Whimbrel - 3 

Lesser Yellowlegs - 2

Greater Yellowlegs - a bunch

Eastern Willet - a whole bunch

Western Willet - 1

Ruddy Turnstone - 2

Dunlin - 2

Western Sandpiper - 1

Least Sandpiper - lots

Semipalmated Sandpiper - numerous

Short-billed Dowitcher - many

 

On the tern front, nothing more exciting than one Royal Tern. Juveniles are
now out and about, including Forster's along with the many Commons. I got a
sense of that before even seeing any, getting buzzed by adults on my way
out. I was hoping something more interesting would appear on the rising
tide, by hey, even the mythical person that does this rising tide magic
didn't appear.

 

 

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to