I second Bob’s suggestion. Three of us stayed at the Downsville Motel when we 
went up for the Golden-crowned. It saved us from a middle of the night drive up 
to be at the sparrow spot at sunup. The bird, if it is still there, has 
consistently been an early morning individual.

Joe DiCostanzo

Sent from my iPad

> On Mar 28, 2019, at 4:35 PM, Robert Lewis <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> Thanks for the kind words, Bob.
> 
> I would just add that there is a very nice motel within half a mile of the 
> Golden-Crowned Sparrow spot, the Downsville Motel.  I stayed there the night 
> before, March 19.   
> 
> http://www.downsvillemotel.com
> 
> Bob Lewis 
> Sleepy Hollow NY
> 
> 
> On Wednesday, March 27, 2019, 2:04:49 AM EDT, robert adamo 
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> 
> "Robert the Right", after seeking the current status of the Golden-Crowned 
> Sparrow on this listserve, made the correct decision to pursue the bird on 
> Wednesday, 3/20/19, and was rewarded in fortuitous fashion !  "R the R", of 
> course, is Robert Lewis, and I congratulate him for his conviction, his 
> effort, and his success ! 
> 
> While reading of "R the R,s" good fortune, "Robert the Wrong", decided to 
> reach for the "brass ring" and so on the following Sunday, 3/24/19, he headed 
> upstate toward the town of Downsville ! Leaving from Riverhead, L.I. at 0330, 
> alone (after striking out trying to gather some company for this long trip) 
> "R the W" arrived on Depot St..at ~ 0715, finding Lance Verderame at the 
> scene ! We had never met before, but were both aware of the other because of 
> our contributions to this listserve, as well as leading some NYSYBC field 
> trips. It was then that I learned of Lance's being the original finder of the 
> GCSP, and looked at this development as a "godsend"...but I was wrong !  
> Although there was ample bird activity, including 2 Bald Eagles, the sparrow 
> was a no-show. I believe Lance left at ~ 1030, while I finally left at 1300. 
> 
> After seeing "R the R's" post re: the GCSP, I contacted John Haas, who 
> provided additional info. on the bird, besides giving me info. on 3 good 
> spots to find Evening Grosbeak and C.Redpolls. On my way home, I stopped at 
> all of them, finding Redpolls at each, and Grosbeaks at none. I made it home 
> by 1940, a long day, that while seeing 1 of 2 species not seen earlier this 
> season, I did not get the 1 species I have not seen ever !
> 
> Cheers,
> Bob, aka "R the "W"
> P.S...Thanks again, John and Lance   
> 
> 
> 
> 
>    
> --
> NYSbirds-L List Info:
> Welcome and Basics
> Rules and Information
> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
> Archives:
> The Mail Archive
> Surfbirds
> ABA
> Please submit your observations to eBird!
> --
> --
> NYSbirds-L List Info:
> Welcome and Basics
> Rules and Information
> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
> Archives:
> The Mail Archive
> Surfbirds
> ABA
> Please submit your observations to eBird!
> --

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to