If memory serves it was a tough winter in the Southeastern states with freezes It may be that this species and other continental wintering species took a hit that has been exasperated by this springs monsoons in the Northeastern States
Birds rise above it all > On Jul 3, 2019, at 11:31, MB Warburton <[email protected]> wrote: > > Hello Tom > I live in Potsdam, St. Lawrence County and I have a large swamp on my land > and I am sorry to say I have noticed a lack of Kingfishers on my property, as > well as at other locations where I look for them each year. St.Lawrence > County has numerous wetland areas that I frequently visit to look for birds > and it seems the Kingfishers are missing. I noticed a drop in them last year > too but I cannot say I have any idea as to why, it is one of my favorite > birds. > > Mary Beth Warburton > Potsdam, NY > > On Jul 3, 2019, at 11:12 AM, Thomas Rhindress <[email protected]> wrote: > > To the group, especially my fellow Upstaters, > > I live in Ulster County, with approximately 1000 feet of frontage along > Roundout Creek. During the summers of 2017 and 2018, I would see/hear > kingfishers daily. > This summer I have observed them 2 or 3 times. > > Are others seeing a similar lack of kingfishers? > > We had way above average rain from August to early October last year. > Wondering if this may have had negative impact on prey availability, or on > last year's nest success. > > Thanks for any input, Tom Rhindress > -- > NYSbirds-L List Info: > Welcome and Basics > Rules and Information > Subscribe, Configuration and Leave > Archives: > The Mail Archive > Surfbirds > ABA > Please submit your observations to eBird! > -- > > -- > NYSbirds-L List Info: > Welcome and Basics > Rules and Information > Subscribe, Configuration and Leave > Archives: > The Mail Archive > Surfbirds > ABA > Please submit your observations to eBird! > -- -- NYSbirds-L List Info: http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm ARCHIVES: 1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html 2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L 3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01 Please submit your observations to eBird: http://ebird.org/content/ebird/ --
