Andrew,
Thank you for this reminder. We’ll work on messaging about boots and safety. I 
will work on NPS…
K

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 19, 2021, at 12:01 AM, New York State Birds digest 
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> NYSBIRDS-L Digest for Monday, July 19, 2021.
> 
> 1. =?utf-8?Q?Jamaica_Bay_East_Pond_summary_and_PSA=E2=80=A6?=
> 2. =?utf-8?Q?BBWD_on_the_East_Pond_across_from_the_Raunt=E2=80=A6?=
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Subject: =?utf-8?Q?Jamaica_Bay_East_Pond_summary_and_PSA=E2=80=A6?=
> From: Andrew Baksh <[email protected]>
> Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 00:05:01 -0400
> X-Message-Number: 1
> 
> Following my report earlier today of a Long-billed Dowitcher (LBDO) on the 
> Southend. I found another 2 LBDOs as I covered the Pond from the south to the 
> northend and back.
> 
> Additional highlights included, 31 STILT SANDPIPERS, 1 WESTERN SANDPIPER, 3 
> PECTORAL SANDPIPERS. 23 KILLDEERS (including fledglings), 1 CASPIAN TERN, 1 
> GULL-BILLED TERN, 3 PURPLE MARTINS, 1 ADULT BALD EAGLE and the continuing 
> WHITE-FACED IBIS.
> 
> Both Yellowlegs continue with decent numbers. Least Sandpiper numbers are 
> building and Semipalmated Sandpipers are trickling in. With the water level 
> it is, we might get one of those seasons where the Dowitcher numbers build 
> nicely. Today’s Short-billed Dowitcher number was 397 which saw a nice jump 
> since my last visit.
> 
> The Duckage numbers seemed quite low but Blue-winged Teal and Ruddy Ducks are 
> still around.
> 
> And now for a PSA: I am seeing a lot of new faces venturing out onto the East 
> Pond. This is all great but I get the sense that many of these new visitors 
> are not privy to some of the dodgy areas on the Pond. Today, through my scope 
> I watched an older gentleman taking a spill near the Raunt. This, even though 
> he was in close proximity to veteran users of the Pond. To the admins of the 
> various messaging groups, please encourage your members to exercise caution 
> when visiting the Pond. Do not wander around casually.
> 
> I also cannot emphasize enough. Knee High boots unless you are feeling brave 
> or immune like Steve Walter. 
> 
> I have opened up more trails on the south end to allow visitors to avoid 
> walking the edge of Schriber’s Slew. I’ll widen those trails sometime during 
> the week as well as filling in some more of the holes at the Southend edge.
> 
> Good East Pond Birding!
> 
> --------
> “Tenderness and Kindness are not signs of weakness and despair but 
> manifestations of strength and resolution” ~ Khalil Gibran
> 
> "I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule 
> of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence." ~ 
> Frederick Douglass
> 
> 風 Swift as the wind
> 林 Quiet as the forest
> 火 Conquer like the fire
> 山 Steady as the mountain
> Sun Tzu  The Art of War
> 
>> (\__/)
>> (= '.'=)                                            
>> (") _ (")                                     
>> Sent from somewhere in the field using my mobile device! 
> 
> Andrew Baksh
> www.birdingdude.blogspot.com
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Subject: =?utf-8?Q?BBWD_on_the_East_Pond_across_from_the_Raunt=E2=80=A6?=
> From: Andrew Baksh <[email protected]>
> Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 11:22:58 -0400
> X-Message-Number: 2
> 
> Ken Fuestel just called to report that the Black-bellied Whistling-Duck was 
> just seen across from the Raunt.
> 
> Cheers,
> 
> --------
> “Tenderness and Kindness are not signs of weakness and despair but 
> manifestations of strength and resolution” ~ Khalil Gibran
> 
> "I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule 
> of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence." ~ 
> Frederick Douglass
> 
> 風 Swift as the wind
> 林 Quiet as the forest
> 火 Conquer like the fire
> 山 Steady as the mountain
> Sun Tzu  The Art of War
> 
>> (\__/)
>> (= '.'=)                                            
>> (") _ (")                                     
>> Sent from somewhere in the field using my mobile device! 
> 
> Andrew Baksh
> www.birdingdude.blogspot.com
> 
> 
> ---
> 
> END OF DIGEST
> 

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to