Hi,

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 11:03 AM, Lukas Kahwe Smith <m...@pooteeweet.org> wrote:
> its my understanding that workspaces are one of the viable approaches to
> content staging.

Right. That's one of the big use cases for versioning in JCR. Without
workspaces the versioning feature is significantly limited (and
simplified). However, I know only a couple of isolated deployments
where this feature is used in practice. In Adobe's CQ we use a custom
replication mechanism for staging, so we don't have a direct need to
use versioning for this purpose.

> its also useful for multi tenant setups. especially if we are to bring JCR
> and Oak
> to larger audiences via PHPCR, then we also need to consider how to make it
> easier to host for people with lower requirements than the average Java based
> CMS installation.

Multiple workspaces for multi-tenant setups are much easier to
implement, as there we can (and should) map each workspace to a
completely separate content tree (no shared version storage, node
types, etc.). In the MongoMK case we could for example map the
workspace name to the name of the MongoDB database being accessed.

Such a workspace model would be much easier to implement than full JCR
workspace support (with all the cross-workspace operations), but might
already cover most of the potential use cases apart from content
staging.

BR,

Jukka Zitting