>also, I wonder if we shouldn't also profile the stack of underlying calls
>in the QueryEngine to measure how much time is spent there and how much
>time is spent in the specific QueryIndex implementation.

Analyzing full thread dumps will give you the statistical distribution,
which is quite accurate if you have enough data. In the full thread dumps
I saw so far, I didn't see a thread running within the query engine
itself. All (~300) threads where in the LuceneIndex for this case. So I
expect the query engine part is negligible (less than 1%).

Regards,
Thomas