I don't yet have a proper proposal, but maybe what could be done may be
something similar to what Davide has done with regards to the ordered index
(using a skiplist), that is defining a specific structure of the nodes,
together with a specific implementation, that avoids having to use sortable
node types but is an inherently sorted structure, e.g. binary search tree.
Any opinions?

Regards,
Tommaso