Probably we can package the test classes as an attached artifact and
make use of that. For example oak-lucene uses the Oak Core test via

<dependency>
      <groupId>org.apache.jackrabbit</groupId>
      <artifactId>oak-core</artifactId>
      <version>${project.version}</version>
      <classifier>tests</classifier>
      <scope>test</scope>