There is another option to avoid extra effort when running within
Sling. Have an optional implementation which makes use of
SlingSettingsService to get fetch SlingId. With little bit of OSGi
kung fu you can have an implementation which uses SlingId when running
in Sling otherwise maintains its own id using File based approach.

This would reduce operational complexity
Chetan Mehrotra