Hi,
Moving URIProvider from Oak 1.6 oak-core (not yet patched) to JCR API would
require a patch to 2.14.2 with a new feature to make this API available to
Sling and Oak 1.6. I was told patching stable branches with new features
was not allowed in Oak. Only unstable branches can be patched with new
features.

Moving URIProvider from Oak 1.7.9 oak-api to JCR API 2.15.6-SNAPSHOT is a
viable option for Oak, but not for Sling until Oak releases 2.0, which is
too late for the feature to make it into the next AEM release.

I hope that makes sense, and I understood what you were asking.

This issue is now redundant. See my other message and OAK-6841.

Best Regards
Ian