Hi Andrew,

I really like the idea of an OAuth protected messaging service that
protects the user's inbox from spam, and allows users to selectively
authorize (and revoke) permission for 3rd parties to send messages to
them. This is exactly why Facebook messaging is free of spam.

As George has mentioned, this will take awhile time to roll out, but it
would certainly make sense to move forward on this.

However, a huge gotcha is that many RPs require your email address for
more than just messaging purposes:

For instance, if the user needs to contact the RP out of band (the RP is
an online merchant, and the user needs to email or telephone the
merchant regarding an order) the user will have no way to identify
himself to the merchant, unless the merchant has the user's verified
email address. The Googlers on this list might have a bit more to say
about this scenario regarding their experience with Google Checkout.

On a related note, social networking sites want users to connect with
each other, and the best way for a user to find someone that they know
is to search based on email addresses. This is why all decently sized
social networking sites ask to import your address book from your mail
provider to help you find your friends in your address book who are also
using the site.

Allen