On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 4:32 PM, Dossy Shiobara <do...@panoptic.com> wrote:

> On 4/28/09 8:41 AM, Hubert Le Van Gong wrote:
>> I also saw 2 additional ideas that might help
>> (and are not necessarily exclusive with the 2 proposals):
>>
>> (3) Make Request tokens one-time only
>> (4) Request that the user logs in at the Consumer before the request
>> token request
>
> Requiring the user authenticate to the Consumer doesn't prevent the
> attack, as the attacker is a legitimate user of Consumer in the attack
> scenario.
>
> What I keep proposing is that the user must authenticate at the
> _Provider_ before the request token request.  This would completely
> eliminate the attack in the scenario.
>
> And yes, making request tokens one-time only is a MUST, IMHO.

Ah yes, that's what I meant: the user authenticates at the Provider
before the token request is issued - sorry, getting old :)
Sounds like a valid option to me.
Is the reason for *discarding* this solution the fact that it's
an additional roundtrip in the flow (or put another way it's too big
a change to the current protocol)?

Cheers,
Hubert