I would prefer it to have a value - for .net the usual way of
accessing the form and querystring parameters returns null if the
parameter is not there or has no value.  To implement an empty value
we would have to make two checks to see if the key is present and then
check to see if it has a value.  I know it's not a big deal but it can
lead to bad implementations.  "oob" seems perfectly valid to me.

I would prefer the version to be used to identify what flow is in use
- have to agree with David Parry that it makes it a lot cleaner to
identify if the consumer has sent a version 1.0 request or they are
attempting an invalid 1.1/1.0a request.  But to enforce this the spec
would need to be updated to make the oauth_version parameter mandatory
in all requests. I don't think this would be a big leap though as I
would have thought that most implementations already include this
parameter as standard.