On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 9:34 PM, Manger, James H
<james.h.man...@team.telstra.com> wrote:
> I would prefer to fix OAuth security issue 2009-1 without unnecessarily
> preventing
> state-management options that previously worked, and without requiring
> cookies where
> they were not previously necessary.

I'm pretty sure that any client that encodes all state in the callback
URL is still vulnerable to session fixation.  You mentioned using
referer or origin HTTP headers to prevent XSRF of the callback URL,
but those don't actually work to prevent the session fixation attack.
(Referer and Origin will always point to the SP.)

(Nit: the protocol doesn't actually require cookies.  Other types of
client-side state (javascript variables for web browsers, disk or
memory storage for installed apps) are perfectly viable.)