I realize that if a completely fake phishing site, blaxo/plaxoo, got a
customer_key and customer_secret from Yahoo! contacts, it is
completely true that regardless of signature method, they can fool a
user into participating, in an exchange that allows them to pull their
contacts. However, signing with HMAC or RSA does add a layer of
protection against MITM attacks (which was pointed out clearly right
back in the 1.0 spec, and I assume which is why the second two
signature types are specified).  I guess I instinctively react
negatively to a weaker option being allowed (or not discouraged) for a
broader reason.

And, I think I made my 'broader reason' point poorly, let me try
again: I want OAuth to be thought of as "industrial strength". This
means as a community you need to at times say "we wont allow or
encourage a 'good enough' approach". PLAINTEXT might be good enough
for organization XYZ. But at the end of the day when XYZ gets hacked,
OAuth gets a bad rep. Over the last 20 years I've seen this again and
again with security protocols. Those passing judgement on a security
protocol, or making decisions on whether it can be used for a purpose
(often the regulator, not the enterprise) may not dig down into
details of an attack and realize it was a poor implementation of a
protocol, as opposed to the protocol itself. One can hardly blame
them. For instance with recent coverage of "SSL vulnerabilities" one
would thing SSL was screwed up, whereas it was things like continuing
to use MD5 long after end of life and browser's not performing the
checks they should...

So all I am suggesting are some very simple principles:
i) The credential issued by a SP to a consumer should require strong
validation that the consumer is who they say they are, and this
verification should be revalidated periodically.
ii) In all SP to Consumer communications, whether directly or through
a user's browser, both sides should strongly authenticate each other
and establish a trusted channel which is believed by the crypto
community to be secure even if the user is Dr. Evil or the user's
browser is malware ridden.
iii) The protocol should be open enough to allow many different ways
of making (i) and (ii) happen.

I am completely aware of the eternal conflict here between making
adoption easy and raising the bar on security. My two cents are: raise
the bar by not allowing (or discouraging) weaker forms of OAuth.

Hope this helps. Thanks.