OAuth can be used as a bastardized mechanism to do SSO, but it's not really
recommended.

OAuth only provides you with tokens, which could later be revoked,
effectively destroying the identity that you're relying on.

OpenID is the preferred way to achieve SSO because it provides you with a
stable, reusable identifier.

Twitter uses OAuth for SSO, but it's really kind of a mis-use of the
technology, although in practice it kind of solves the problem.

Essentially OpenID provides you with identity; OAuth provides you
authorization to do things on behalf of a user. Since you're doing something
on behalf of a user, you get a kind of temporary identity to do stuff but
it's much more fragile than OpenID.

Why don't you want to do OpenID?

Chris

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 10:21 AM, Adam <apcau...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We currently use CAS for SSO.  I'd like to have SSO into gmail, but do
> not want to switch to OpenID.  Is it possible to use OAuth to login
> users into their gmail accounts?  Or is OAuth only meant to retrieve
> user data?
>
> I am currently using SignPost to connect to OAuth... if it matters.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --

Chris Messina
Open Web Advocate, Google

Personal: http://factoryjoe.com
Follow me on Buzz: http://buzz.google.com/chrismessina
...or Twitter: http://twitter.com/chrismessina

This email is:   [ ] shareable    [X] ask first   [ ] private