Hi Ethan -

In Yahoo's case, we only allow the username/password profile for a very
small number of applications written by Yahoo or by partners under contract,
and only when opening a web browser is not feasible or desirable. We
strongly discourage apps from using this profile, and it's unlikely that
it'll ever be a public interface.

We have a very strong preference that rich client apps invoke a browser
window for the user to authorize the app.

Other Service Providers have similar policies for their equivalent
username/password profile.

Allen