+1

I would propose to use appropriate HTTP status codes where possible. Especially wrong parameters (violated precodition) and authentication/authorization related errors should be signaled differently. I think status code 400 is ok for the first category, status codes 401 and probably 403 are good candidates for the other. Status code 401 could be combined w/ WW-Authenticate header.

regards,
Torsten.