The reason I used 400 in the flows (section 3) is that a 401 response requires
returning a challenge [1]:

   The request requires user authentication.  The response MUST include
   a WWW-Authenticate header field.

and we don't have a suitable challenge to return. We can't use the Token auth
scheme here because the flow endpoints are not OAuth-protected resources. They
use a mix of client credentials, user credentials, and verification codes.

(Yes James, your proposal will solve this...)

So instead of using a 401 without the required WWW-Authenticate header, I opted
to use 400.

EHL

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p7-auth-09#section-2.1