Am 20.04.2010 20:59, schrieb Eran Hammer-Lahav:

Because the rest of the spec did receive extensive review from both early adopters and from the previous drafts it borrowed from. Nothing so far is a new concept. The concept of an identity is new in OAuth, and while offers important benefits, should not be added to the spec when there are actual security concerns around it.

My impression is that the specification has undergone significant changes since its first version and cannot be compared to its predecessor in terms of security.

Let me give you some examples.

I wonder if anyone security reviewed the introduction of refresh tokens to the User Agent Flow? From my point of view, refresh tokens are dangerous in this flow.

First of all, where should a JavaScript client store this token securely? If someone is able to steal the token, it can use it to obtain access tokens.

Steps:
1) legitimate client is granted access by the end user
2) client stores refresh token in local storage (?)
3) malicious software reads refresh token from local storage
4) malicious software obtains access token from the authorization server (no client secret required) 5) malicious software uses token or sends it to a central storage for further abuse

Second, the immediate mode has been introduced to the User Agent flow recently. I don't know exactly but my feeling is that a malicious software can steal tokens.

Steps:
1) malicious software initiated authorization flow using immediate=true and a stolen client_id 2) Assuming this client has been granted access by the end user of the particular computer, the authorization server directly respondes with tokens w/o user interaction. The user does not realize what is happening. 3) malicious software uses token or sends it to a central storage for further abuse

The only countermesure I see is the redirect URL verification, which seams to be optional: "If the client has previously registered a redirection URI with the
   authorization server".

I raised a specific issue that was not addressed. Brian seems to have other concerns.

Other posts on the thread indicated a need for such an concept. We use such parameters, too.

I think, from a security standpoint, the problem is much more the immediate parameter then the username parameter. If the username is modified by an attacker, the user should see the username in authentication or authorization dialogs. So he/her can react. That's not the case in immediate mode, so there are only technical ways to prevent username modifications, HTTPS or signatures.

I don't like the policy of add-first-discuss-later.

I don't like it either. But sometimes it is more efficient to make progress and discuss such aspects in-depth when reaching milestones.

regards,
Torsten.

EHL