> * We'd like the signature first (so you can left split instead of right split)

What are the advantages of left split vs right split?

Built in split function with a limit is more common, which makes the left split
easier.

Size limit I am assuming? Since the size of the signature is known, this makes
it safer to have it first? Makes sense to me.

Sounds like we agree on this point at least.

The main reason is that it's easier to restrict the delimiter from appearing in
the signature than in the payload. This way the delimiter (period) can show up
in the payload and a left split can still work.