On 2010-07-10, at 1:21 PM, David Recordon wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Dick Hardt <dick.ha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2010-07-10, at 9:58 AM, Paul Tarjan wrote:
>> Hi OAuthers,
>>
>> First of all, I think I should introduce myself. I work at Facebook on the
>> Platform team (anything not facebook.com). Before this I was at Yahoo! doing
>> SearchMonkey (semantic web stuff). I've written a few OAuth applications and
>> libraries, both at Yahoo and in my spare time.
>>
>> For Facebook apps we're going to use your signature scheme with the
>> following changes:
>
> I would hope you would think it is "our" signature scheme rather than "your"
> signature scheme
>
> I think Paul was referring to the proposal Dirk put forward since there isn't
> anything which has become part of OAuth yet. ;)

The email was addressed to "OAuthers" -- I would hope that Paul would soon
consider himself one of those!

>> * the signature comes before the payload
>> * we used the key 'algorithm' instead of 'alg' and 'expires' instead of
>> 'not_before'
>
> Good points to add to the discussion. Perhaps you would articulate why you
> made those choices?
>
> I think Naitik talked about the signature coming before the payload in this
> thread. Through implementations we've found that lsplit is easier in some
> languages.

I think having an envelope as the first blob enables a parser to know what to
do with the rest of the blobs, and that this trumps the mionor lsplit argument.

> The benefit of using 'alg' is unclear compared to spelling out the word
> 'algorithm' which adds clarity for developers.

Agree that 'algorithm' is easier to understand and preferable to 'alg'

-- Dick