As written it probably does preclude that but I'm sure we could
massage it to be more flexible while still keeping the intent that the
code isn't something that can be easily guessed or is likely to
collide.

I must admit to never having considered the authz code as anything but
a random string as a reference that must be resolved.  Can you expand
on your thinking a bit, if only to enlighten me?

Are you thinking of embedding what would be the entire access token
response to the eventual authorization_code grant type request inside
the access token itself and encrypting and/or singing it?