Am 27.09.2010 19:11, schrieb Anthony Nadalin:
What is needed is needed is the security considerations section complete, I
don't think that the signature specification has to be in the core to be
complete, there are previsions to use SSL, if one needs to go beyond this then
a reference to the signature specification would be in the security
considerations section. The separation allows for an OAuth independent solution
that would/could cover message and token encryption and signing. If signature
is going to be an extension point

I don't understand why signing tokens and signing message shall be solved with the same solution.

In my opinion, tokens are opaque to any client and are just passed through as an uninterpreted string from authorization server (AS) to the resource server (RS) via the client. So the OAuth spec does not necessarily have to standardize their format (incl. signatures) in order to facilitate protocol interoperability. AS and RS just have to use the same format. Since both have a thight relationship that should not be a problem. If one like it can use an existing formats like SAML assertions or SWT.

That's completely different from message signing. Here all parties are involved. So any client accessing a pair of AS and RS has to know how to sign a message in order to prove legitimate token ownership and/or protect the message from modifications.

regards,
Torsten.

why have any in the core? Already we would have questions from our customers on
the use of HMAC-SHA1. According to Hannes the security considerations section
is underway and will explain what signatures provide and what they do not
provide and let the implementer choose what scenarios they are implementing for
and the risk factors of those scenarios and if signatures are needed or just
SSL.