On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 12:34 AM, Eran Hammer-Lahav <e...@hueniverse.com> wrote:
> 1. Descriptive, non-OAuth-specific scheme names (Bearer, MAC)

I vote #1.

In addition to the pros/cons Eran mentioned, it seems the simplest and
cleanest so will cause the least confusion.

William and others brought up backward compatibily, but, supposing #1
"wins", I don't see a need to support "legacy" #4 in the spec.  I feel
it can be addressed by implementors without loss of full compliance.

Phil's note about reserving OAUTH2 as a scheme name makes more sense
to me than supporting it.

I do not disagree with any of Eran's analysis, though #4, which I am
voting against, has a couple of the same benefits as #1:

- works cleanly with the HTTP authentication framework by simply
defining new methods or reusing existing ones.
- built-in discovery using 401 challenge header for which schemes are
supported (with their respective information).

Mike Adams