Sure.

> The more you look at advanced web attacks (MitM downgrade attacks, DNS
> rebinding attacks, etc), the more you realize that most of these are
> addressed by TLS if only it were used everywhere.
>
> It's fine to bring out special-purpose authentication protocols.
> Authentication can happen in a variety of ways either within TLS or tunneled
> over it (hopefully with channel binding), but don't pretend you'll be doing
> anyone favors by trying to provide partial integrity protection that is
> ultimately ineffective.  Just focus on better authentication and
> key/certificate management and let TLS do the rest.

Modern web applications require a lot of third-party hosted services:
analytics, advertising, plug-ins, etc. Until everyone deploys TLS, including
such non-TLS bits in a TLS page cause the browser to show a broken TLS state in
the address bar. For most web users, that's more of a red flag (valid TLS but
with some resources loaded without TLS) than no TLS at all. The reality is that
it is really hard to deploy TLS applications today without having issues with
at least one vendor (especially when that vendor is an ad network you rely on
for your profits).

So while we wait for the web to catch up and deploy TLS (and this effort does
not delay that), we should try and do something about trivial attacks like
Firesheep. Yes, adding MAC to cookies without TLS does not provide anywhere
near the protection of TLS, but it is better than nothing, when TLS is not
available.

Note that the MAC authentication scheme is not exclusively about cookies, and
has value beside just making session cookies better.

EHL