From: Michael Thomas <m...@mtcc.com <mailto:m...@mtcc.com>>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 11:58:11 -0700
To: Eran Hammer-lahav <e...@hueniverse.com <mailto:e...@hueniverse.com>>
Cc: "igor.faynb...@alcatel-lucent.com <mailto:igor.faynb...@alcatel-lucent.com>" <igor.faynb...@alcatel-lucent.com <mailto:igor.faynb...@alcatel-lucent.com>>, "oauth@ietf.org <mailto:oauth@ietf.org>" <oauth@ietf.org <mailto:oauth@ietf.org>>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] problem statement

    Eran Hammer-Lahav wrote:

I'm dismissive of this being an OAuth problem.

    Which brings us back to my original problem: what is the problem
    it's trying to solve?
    What are the assumptions it makes? What is its applicability? None
    of those are addressed
    very well if at all in the drafts. I'm sure that I'm not the only
    one who would be very
    surprised to hear that using oauth on a phone app is a bad idea.

    Put it this way: your favorite example of a photo printing service
    needing access to flickr.
    It's ok if you do that from a browser, but not if the photo printer
    makes an app. How many users,
    exactly, are going to know that they shouldn't do the second one?

    I think that's an oauth problem because oauth makes it *seem* like
    you're protected from
    the third party, whereas if the app itself asked for your login
    credentials there would
    be far less confusion. So in that sense, oauth is making things
    worse, not better.

    Mike

        EHL
        On Sep 6, 2011, at 11:35, "Michael Thomas" <m...@mtcc.com