On 04/12/2012 12:00 PM, Hannes Tschofenig wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> those who had attended the last IETF meeting may have noticed the ongoing activity in the 'Applications Area Working Group' regarding Web Finger. > We had our discussion regarding Simple Web Discovery (SWD) as part of the re-chartering process.
>
> Here are the two specifications:
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jones-appsawg-webfinger-03
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jones-simple-web-discovery-02
>
> Now, the questions that seems to be hanging around are
>
>   1) Aren't these two mechanisms solving pretty much the same problem?
>   2) Do we need to have two standards for the same functionality?
> 3) Do you guys have a position or comments regarding either one of them?
>
> Ciao
> Hannes
>
> PS: Please also let me know if your view is: "I don't really know what all this is about and the documents actually don't provide enough requirements to make a reasonable judgement about the solution space."

So just as a data-point. We (the IETF, but including
me personally;-) mucked up badly on this some years
ago in the PKI space - we standardised both CMP (rfc
2510) and CMC (rfc 2797) as two ways to do the same
thing, after a protracted battle between factions
supporting one or the other. We even made sure they
had as much common syntax as possible. (CRMF, rfc
2511)

Result: neither fully adopted, lots of people still
do proprietary stuff, neither can be killed off
(despite attempts), both need to be maintained (CMP
is now RFC 4210, CMC, 5272, CRMF, 4211), and IMO
partly as a result of us screwing up for what seemed
like good reasons at the time, PKI administration
stuff has never gotten beyond horrible-to-do.

All-in-all, a really bad outcome which is still
a PITA a dozen years later.

As OAuth AD I will need *serious* convincing that
there is a need to provide two ways to do the same
thing. I doubt it'll be possible to convince me,
in fact, so if you wanna try, you'll need to start
by saying that they are not in fact two ways to do
the same thing:-)

S.

PS: This discussion needs to also involve the Apps
area, so I've cc'd that list.