> Particularly, the authors are looking for advice with the use of the example
> URLs. Following the guidance of RFC 2606,
>
> we have used “example” as the top level domain name (e.g., example.com).
> This may mislead readers into thinking that all URLs belong to the same
> organization. A general note, stating that all sites ending with
> “example.com” do not necessarily belong to the same organization, is not
> sufficient (according to some readers). How to avoid the confusion?

You're not using it as the top level domain name.  You're using it as
the second level domain name.  See below.

As Mike says, you can use .net and .org as well as .com.  You can also
use "example" truly as the top level domain (TLD).  You can use
"company1.example" and "company2.example" and
"big-university.example", and so on.

Barry