Maybe I'm missing the bigger picture but, if your going back to the same AS
like the diagram shows, why not just request the xyz scope in the initial
request and cut out the middle steps?

More generally I can say I've thought about these kinds of token exchange
cases and they should be possible in theory. In practice I expect getting
everything to work and validate correctly with respect to scopes and
audience values might be a little tricky.