Coming in late to this thread: I agree broadly with Justin, Mike, and John.
Having an in-band just-in-time registration capability is valuable. By analogy
with user identifiers, it's useful for client identifiers to be issued for the
asking as the first rung of an assurance (real-world identification/strong
ongoing correlation) ladder. UMA definitely needs this because it requires
further, finer-grained authorization to assign any significant access rights to
clients and their wielders ("requesting parties") -- getting a token is, by
itself, not very meaningful. If you want, you can consider this approach a
mitigation of the risks in issuing client IDs for the asking...

        Eve