I agree with Mike's point about flexibility. If OpenID Connect expects JWT and
specific claim semantics, that makes sense in the context of its use case, but
there are lots of other choices that can be made. For example, UMA's MTI token
profile* defines a mechanism for conveying JSON-formatted permissions (à la
Anil Saldhana's "entitlement" model** vs. "enforcement" for cloud
authorization), and other token profiles could be created to convey JWT claims,
the results of policy decisions, the applicable policies themselves, etc.

        Eve
* http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hardjono-oauth-umacore-09#section-3.3.2
** http://anil-identity.blogspot.com/2013/05/access-control-best-practices.html