In Connect these public keys are used to:
1 verify the signature of request objects (Signed Requests), something not in
OAuth yet, and part of what the description calls higher level protocols.
2 encrypt the responses from the user_info endpoint or id_token (also not part
of OAuth directly at this point)

3 validate requests to the token endpoint authenticated by the JWT assertion
profile I think this is legitimate OAuth use.

Whew for the PoP specs:
4 used to encrypt the symmetric proof key in a JWK sent  to the client
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bradley-oauth-pop-key-distribution-01#page-7
5 used to provide a PoP key for the client to the AS as part of registration
rather than passing the JWK on each request to the token endpoint.

So the keys in the JWK can be used a number of ways by the AS.

I think we could reference 3 and 4 as examples to be safe.

John B.