Hi Hannes,

Please see inline

TURN request/response will always be integrity protected independent of whether
(D)TLS is used or not and the media traffic relayed through the TURN server is
encrypted (e.g. using DTLS-SRTP) for end-to-end security. Is there need to
support channel binding ?

> >> Putting discovery information in-band into the exchange is also find
> >> (which is what we did in the SASL document).
> >>
> >> Instead of using the JWT access token format the authors have defined
> >> a new, binary encoding to keep the size smaller. The OAuth framework
> >> allows other token formats to be used - so that's fine as well.
> >> (As a minor remark, I would use AEAD ciphers here since that's what
> >> everyone is doing noways.)
> >
> > Good point, will update the draft to use AEAD.
>
> Ok
>

> >> Two things surprised me:
> >>
> >> a) The spec leaves the way to obtain the access token pretty much open.
> >> A big benefit from using OAuth is that there is a protocol mechanism
> >> defined for getting the access token. You could, for example,
> >> recommend using authorization code flow. This concerns the text written
> in Section 4.
> >
> > Using authorization code flow is discussed in Section 4 of the draft.
> >
> > <snip>
> >    OAuth in [RFC6749] defines four grant types.  This specification uses
> >    the OAuth grant type "Implicit" explained in section 1.3.2 of
> >    [RFC6749] where the WebRTC client is issued an access token directly.
> > </snip>
> >
> > Are you suggesting that we add more details ?
>
> I missed that. That's fine.
>

> >> b) You describe a key establishment scheme to be used between the
> >> resource server and the authorization server. What assumption do you
> >> make about the relationship between the authorization server and the
> >> resource server? Are they supposed to have a business relationship or
> >> some other relationship with each other ?
> >
> > Authorization and Resource servers could have a business relationship
> > (loosely coupled, for example Enterprise network using TURN server
> > provided by third party provider like Akamai) or could be deployed in
> > the same administrative domain (tightly coupled, for example Google
> > providing both WebRTC and TURN servers)
>
> I guess you assume that there is some long-term secret (such as asymmetric
> credential) in place and you then derive the symmetric keys from it (by using
> DSKPP).

Yes

> Maybe you want to say that (in addition to the assumed relationship
> between the two entities). If there is no relationship between the two parties
> then they will certainly be a challenge to get this done securely.

Agreed, will update the draft.

> >> Minor aspects:
> >>
> >>  * Would the TURN server name really be an email alike address rather
> >> than a URI ?
> >
> > Yes, for more information please refer to
> > http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tram-turn-server-discovery-00
> >

> Thanks. Why do you need the username part for the discovery of the TURN
> server capabilities? I couldn't find the answer to that question by quickly
> looking at the TURN server discovery document. Do you expect that the
> configuration is different from user to user?
>
> The procedure seems to be:
>
> Client -> TURN server: Establish Tunnel
> Client <- TURN server: error - here is my "email" alike address
> (f...@turn.com)
> Client -> DNS: DNS Lookup (turn.com)
> Client <- DNS: something domain name back Client -> DNS: NAPTR Client <-
> DNS: IP address back
>
> Is this correct?

The procedure is as follows:

Client -> DNS: DNS Lookup (turn.com)
Client <- DNS: something domain name back Client -> DNS: NAPTR Client <-
DNS: IP address back
Client -> TURN server: Establish Tunnel
Client <- TURN server: error - here is my "email" alike address
(f...@turn.com)

The unique TURN server name (f...@turn.com) is provided by the TURN server in
the error response so that client can convey the unique TURN server name to the
authorization server. Authorization server uses the TURN server name to
identify the appropriate keying material to generate the self-contained token.

> >>  * Would you use Dynamic Client Registration to provision the client
> >> with the necessary parameter? Is there the expectation that random
> >> clients would work with random authorization servers ?
> >
> > No, client must authenticate with the authorization server (SIP/WebRTC
> server) to make a call.
>
> Ok.
>

> >>  * Wouldn't you want to define a scope value for use with the TURN
> >> service so that the authorization server is able to restrict the
> >> access token for use with TURN only?
> >
> > The scope value for use with the TURN service is defined in section 4
> >
> > <snip>
> >    The scope of the access token explained in section 3.3 of [RFC6749]
> >    MUST be TURN.
> > </snip>
>
> Ok. The scope string is 'turn'.

Yes, updated the above line to make it more clear.

NEW:
The value of the scope parameter explained in section 3.3 of [RFC6749] must be
'turn' string.

> >>  * Crypto algorithm negotiation: would you expect the authorization
> >> server to tell the client what crypto algorithms to use (since the
> >> authorization server not only needs to share a key with the resource
> >> server but also needs to have knowledge about the supported
> cryptographic algorithms) ?
> >
> > Currently STUN only uses HMAC-SHA1, hence details about authorization
> server telling the client about the crypto algorithm to use is not explicitly
> mentioned in the draft.
>
> OK. Is there any plan to provide more than just HMAC-SHA1 ?

Yes, there is future plan to provide STUN hash agility in STUNbis draft (work
is yet to start on this draft). Crypto algorithm negotiation could work as
follows:
For the hash agility support, TURN client and server will have to negotiate the
algorithms supported and agree on the hash function. After this step as
explained in draft-ietf-oauth-pop-key-distribution-00, client signals the
respective algorithm to authorization server in ‘alg’ parameter and receives
the symmetric key whose is length is determined by the authorization server
based on the algorithm conveyed by the client.

Cheers,
-Tiru