From: "Bill Burke" <bbu...@redhat.com>
To: "John Bradley" <ve7...@ve7jtb.com>
Cc: "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: [OAUTH-WG] Confusion on Implicit Grant flow
Date: Mon, Feb 9, 2015 5:33 PM

On 2/9/2015 5:03 PM, John Bradley wrote:
> OK, I don't know if the WG has discussed the issue of fragments in browser
> history.
>
> So you are trading off several round trips against the possibility of a token
> leaking in browser history or bookmark?

Yes, bookmarking tokens is a little scary, IMO, as we've already run
into users bookmarking URLs with codes in them.

Also, wasn't there additional security vulnerabilities surrounding
implicit flow?  Maybe these were just the product of incorrect
implementations, I don't remember, it was a while ago.

> One extension that Connect introduced was a "code id_token" response type
> that is fragment encoded.  That would let you pass the code directly to the
> JS saving two legs.

It looks like OIDC added a "response_mode" parameter where you can
specify "query" or "fragment".  Thanks for pointing this out!

Thanks for all the help.

--
Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat