From: Denis [mailto:denis.i...@free.fr]
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 3:50 AM
To: oauth@ietf.org
Subject: [OAUTH-WG] About Big Brother and
draft-campbell-oauth-resource-indicators-00

Hello everybody,

Since I am not present at the meeting, I read the minutes from the first
session, in particular:

Brian Campbell and John did a draft allowing the client to tell the AS where it
plans to use the token
draft-campbell-oauth-resource-indicators

              This enables the AS to audience restrict the access token to the
resource
              Phil Hunt:  We should keep the audience restriction idea on the
table

The introduction contains the following sentences:

Several years of deployment and implementation experience with OAuth 2.0
[RFC6749] has uncovered a need, in some circumstances,
for the client to explicitly signal to the authorization sever where it intends
to use the access token it is requesting.

A means for the client to signal to the authorization sever where it intends to
use the access token it's requesting is important and useful.

The document contains a "security considerations" section but unfortunately no
"privacy considerations" section.

Clause 2 states:

The client may indicate the resource server(s) for which it is requesting an
access token by including the
following parameter in the request.

resource

OPTIONAL. The value of the resource parameter indicates a resource server where
the requested
access token will be used. It MUST be an absolute URI, as specified by Section
4.3 of[RFC3986],

With such an approach, the authorization server would have the ability to act
as a Big Brother and hence to know exactly
where the user will be performing activities.

However, some users might be concerned with their privacy, and would like to
restrict the use of the access token
to some resource servers without the authorization server knowing which are
these resource servers.

The key point is whether the information is primarily intended to the
authorization server or to the resource server(s).

I believe that it is primarily intended to the resource server(s) rather than
to the authorization server in order to be included
in an access token. Obviously, the information needs to transit through the
authorization sever, that should simply be copied
and pasted into the access token. Its semantics, if any, does not necessarily
needs to be interpreted by the authorization sever.

I believe that a "privacy considerations" section should be added.

The sentence "It MUST be an absolute URI, as specified by Section 4.3 of
[RFC3986]" should be removed or
 replaced by : "It MAY be an absolute URI, as specified by Section 4.3 of
[RFC3986]".

Obviously, other changes would be necessary too.

Denis